At CSUSM we understand the value of forging strong and lasting partnerships with engaged community and industry organizations. In our internship program, you will serve as co-educators and help to guide new generations as they enter the workforce.
Your Organization's Role
As an academic credit internship partner, you are responsible for:
- Ensuring the internship position is related to an academic field of study available at CSUSM
- Ensuring the internship position consists of pre-professional or professionally-related work assignments and tasks
- Ensuring a safe and appropriate learning environment
- Permitting, as needed, a CSUSM faculty/staff member to conduct a site visit prior to the student commencing internship work
- Providing training and consistent guidance and supervision by a professional staff member
- Providing a workplace orientation to the student including safety and emergency procedures
- Allowing interns to meet with their supervisors and receive feedback on their activities on a regular basis
- Verifying internship hours completed
- Completing a partner experience survey.
The Office of Internships was specifically created to match your organization with talented students interested in receiving academic credit for internships (paid or unpaid)*. CSUSM students must enroll in a course and complete class requirements to receive academic credit for an internship.
Steps for a University-Community Partnership:
- Complete the Request to Initiate Partnership form online. If the internship is unpaid, please review the Department of Labor’s guidance on Internship Programs and the Fair Labor Standards Act and ensure that the internship opportunity meets the stated criteria for an allowable unpaid internship. Also review the Community Partner Internship Handbook for tips and suggestions when creating your internship opportunity.
- Once the submitted form is reviewed and approved, a University Community Partnership agreement will be sent for review and signature. Once signed by both the Community Partner and the Associate Director of Internships, internship opportunities are posted on our online database.
- Communicate with interested students. We can provide interview rooms and parking passes.
- Select a student intern using your pre-determined selection process.
If you already have a current agreement with CSUSM and want to add another internship opportunity, please complete the New Internship Opportunity form.
If you need assistance with your internship listing, need to request an interview room, or have any other questions regarding internships, please contact the Office of Internships at 760.750.7005 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* For job postings, please contact the CSUSM Career Center.
Internship Fair 2017 Registration
Community Partner Resources
To ensure your internship opportunity is posted in a timely manner, please submit a request at least 6 weeks prior to the start of the semester.
Spring 2017: Jan 23-May 25
Summer 2017: June 5- Aug 17
Fall 2017: Aug 28-Dec 21