At CSUSM we understand the value of forging strong and lasting partnerships with engaged
community and industry organizations. In our internship program, you will serve as
co-educators and help to guide new generations as they enter the workforce.
Your Organization's Role
As an academic credit internship partner, you are responsible for:
- Ensuring the internship position is related to an academic field of study available at CSUSM
- Ensuring the internship position consists of pre-professional or professionally-related
work assignments and tasks
- Ensuring a safe and appropriate learning environment
- Permitting, as needed, a CSUSM faculty/staff member to conduct a site visit prior
to the student commencing internship work
- Providing training and consistent guidance and supervision by a professional staff
- Providing a workplace orientation to the student including safety and emergency procedures
- Allowing interns to meet with their supervisors and receive feedback on their activities
on a regular basis
- Verifying internship hours completed
- Completing a partner experience survey.
The Office of Internships was specifically created to match your organization with
talented students interested in receiving academic credit for internships (paid or
unpaid)*. CSUSM students must enroll in a course and complete class requirements to receive
academic credit for an internship.
Steps for a University-Community Partnership:
- Complete the Request to Initiate Partnership form online. If the internship is unpaid, please review the Department of Labor’s
guidance on Internship Programs and the Fair Labor Standards Act and ensure that the internship opportunity meets the stated criteria for an allowable
unpaid internship. Also review the Community Partner Internship Handbook for tips and suggestions when creating your internship opportunity.
- Once the submitted form is reviewed and approved, a University Community Partnership
agreement will be sent for review and signature. Once signed by both the Community
Partner and the Associate Director of Internships, internship opportunities are posted
on our online database.
- Communicate with interested students. We can provide interview rooms and parking passes.
- Select a student intern using your pre-determined selection process.
If you already have a current agreement with CSUSM and want to add another internship
opportunity, please complete the New Internship Opportunity form.
If you need assistance with your internship listing, need to request an interview
room, or have any other questions regarding internships, please contact the Office
of Internships at 760.750.7005 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* For job postings, please contact the CSUSM Career Center.