Congratulations on your decision to participate in an internship!
Internships can be extremely beneficial to college students in the following ways:
- Gain valuable work experience in a field of interest
- Learn time management
- Apply academic information into real-world situations
- Learn how to be a team player
- Learn how to communicate with various audiences
- Handle conflict and pressure in the workplace effectively
- Develop a network
- Interact with diverse groups of individuals
- Enhance people and customer service skills
- Increase value on your resume
Helpful Tips and Suggestions
- Do not wait until you are a graduating senior to consider taking an internship course--explore the idea as a sophomore or junior.
- Internship opportunities vary by semester. Check the database for updated opportunties and deadlines.
- Most internships will require a formal cover letter, resume, CV, and/or an interview. If you need help with any of these, the CSUSM Career Center is a great on-campus resource.
- When responding to an opportunity you are interested in, identify yourself as a CSUSM student and your major.
- Avoid sending a generic email and write a response specific to the community partner and the internship opportunity, explaining why you are interested in the position and why you are a qualified candidate.
- Refer to the FAQs section and the Student Intern Handbook for guidelines, and more tips and suggestions.