The Middle Class Scholarship (MCS) program provides funding to help middle-class students attend the California State
University and the University of California.
How it Works
Each year, the state allocates funding for the program. What this means for you:
- Apply for financial aid (FAFSA or CA DREAM App). There are no seperate forms required
to apply for the Middle Class Scholarship, but remember - you will need to apply for
financial aid every year by the March 2 deadline.
- If your family's income and household assets are under $156,000 per year and you qualify
for the scholarship, the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) and CSUSM's Financial
Aid and Scholarships Office will let you know your actual scholarship amount.
Who is Eligible
New, transfer, and returning undergraduate students with annual family income and
household assets of up to $156,000, who also meet the following requirements may be
- California resident or have AB540 status
- Not in default on a student loan
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress
- Have family asset levels, excluding equity in a primary residence and savings in retirement
accounts, of up to $156,000
- Meet income and other financial aid standards
- File a FAFSA/California Dream Act Application by March 2nd
2017 -2018 Award Notification
We anticipate MCS awards will be posted late November 2017, and students will receive
an email to review MyCSUSM at that time. Please note, the program is contingent on state funding.