The Middle Class Scholarship (MCS) program provides funding to help middle-class students attend the California State University and the University of California.
**2016/17 Award: You may have received a notice from CSAC that you have been awarded the Middle Class Scholarship for the 2016/17 academic year. Congratulations! The Financial Aid and Scholarships Office will notify you next, once we have received the award funds for disbursement.**
How it Works
Each year, the state allocates funding for the program. What this means for you:
- Apply for financial aid (FAFSA or CA DREAM App). There are no seperate forms required to apply for the Middle Class Scholarship, but remember - you will need to apply for financial aid every year by the March 2 deadline.
- If your family's income and household assets are under $150,000 per year and you qualify for the scholarship, the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) and CSUSM's Financial Aid and Scholarships Office will let you know your actual scholarship amount.
Who is Eligible
New, transfer, and returning undergraduate students with annual family income and household assets of up to $150,000, who also meet the following requirements may be eligible:
- California resident or have AB540 status
- Not in default on a student loan
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress
- Have family asset levels, excluding equity in a primary residence and savings in retirement accounts, of up to $150,000
- Meet income and other financial aid standards
- File a FAFSA/California Dream Act Application by March 2nd