Our next event is: SATURDAY, MARCH 9, 2019
Time: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
FREE EVENT | No registration required | Rain or shine
Location: California State University San Marcos
333 South Twin Oaks Valley Road, San Marcos
Map of Campus
Explore interactive demonstrations and hands-on science activities at Super STEM Saturday,
including rocket launches, build-a-robot stations, model displays, scientist chats
and a obstacle course. The event is free and open to the public. Complimentary parking available in Lots E, F, and H.
Super STEM Saturday is designed to expose and engage kids of all ages and their families
to the diverse and exciting fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics,
known as the STEM disciplines. The brainchild of The Classical Academies and held
in partnership with CSUSM, Super STEM Saturday has grown into a popular North County
event that draws over 10,000 science enthusiasts each year to the university campus.
Here is a sneak peek at some of the fun...
- View the surface of the sun through special filtered solar telescopes.
- Connect to wildlife and learn about conservation with the San Diego Zoo.
- Spend time learning how to identify animals in your neighborhood with tracks and scat.
- Build and launch your own rocket.
- Take a ride in an Air Force simulator!
- Program a Lego Mindstorm robot.
- Step into the shoes of a doctor, nurse, or EMT and learn how to take your vital signs.
- Meet Batman and learn about the science of superheroes!
- Watch the "Better than Magic Show" with Chemistry demonstrations by CSUSM students
- Discover the power of static electricity in the hair-raising fun of "Electrify Me!"
- Watch the "The Amazing World of Physics Show".
- Visit with the Society of Physics Students and watch rocket launches every 20 minutes.
- Learn how lighting impacts make-up and costuming in a theater production. 10-minute
demonstrations will take place throughout the day.
- Visit with a CARDA dog and see how they are trained for search and rescue operations.
- Rubik's Cube Competition: See Rubik's athletes complete the cube… some in under a
minute! (This event is only open to registered teams)
- You Be the Chemist! Challenge: The Chemical Educational Foundation will be hosting
their regional competition in the USU Ballroom at noon. Come watch local students
compete for a spot at the National Competition!
- Purchase lunch or snacks from local food trucks at the event, including Yo Yo Bento,
Devil Dogs BBQ, or The Habit.
- Cool off with some shaved ice from Kona Ice.
- Grab a coffee and a snack from Jazzman's Cafe in the University Student Union.
- Guests can also bring their own lunch to campus.
- Are you a Girl Scout looking to complete requirements for your STEM-related Try-It,
Badge or Journey? Visit the information booth on Kellogg Plaza for suggested activities
to do at the festival that fulfill badge requirements. Complete your requirements
and earn a fun patch for the day! Boy Scouts can fullfill requirements for the Chemistry
Merit Badge and Super Science (Bear Elective Adventure) badge. No registration required!
Show up with your troop/pack or on your own to complete the activities.
- 2018 Science Badges booth information sheet
Director of Student Services & Planning
California State University San Marcos
CSUSM and the Classical Academies will be filming and photographing during the event.
Materials gathered may appear in future promotions and marketing materials for CSUSM
and the Classical Academies. If you do not wish to be photographed or recorded, please
inform our crew/staff and avoid the areas in front of our cameras. By remaining in
the immediate vicinity, you are giving CSUSM and the Classical Academies consent to
videotape or photograph you.
Super STEM Saturday helps to close out a week of exploration as part of the San Diego
Festival of Science and Engineering. Join the adventure as we explore science wonders
for all ages. Learn more about events happening throughout the county...
Super STEM Saturday is generously sponsored by:
Chemical Education Foundation
WAXIE Sanitary Supply
Inspiring and leading STEM education from kindergarten through graduate school and
beyond, The Classical Academies and Cal State San Marcos work in partnership to offer
this popular festival free of charge to the community each year.