Research and Travel Support
The following are opportunities for student research and travel support at CSUSM.
Students are welcome to apply until funds for the current academic year are exhausted.
Graduate Research Dissemination Funds
The Office of Graduate Studies and Research has limited funds available for Master's
and Ed.D. students presenting research at a conference. Students are eligible one-time
only in their graduate studies career, depending on available funds.
Graduate Students-Guidelines and Application
Undergraduate Research & Creative Activities Application
The Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities fund is designed to help undergraduate
students capitalize on scholarship and creative activity completed at CSUSM. Appropriate
activities include support for travel to a conference at which a student's paper or
poster has been accepted. Students are eligible one-time only in their undergraduate
studies career, depending on available funds.
Undergraduate Students-Guidelines and Application
Turn Packet into Office of Graduate Studies and Research: Craven 5102
Student Travel Guidelines
- Travel Request Applications for FY 2019/2020 Are Now Being Accepted.
- In order to award as many students as possible with a finite budget, meal allowance
for each travel claim is a maximum of $55 per day, regardless of travel destination.
- Advance payments for this travel is unavailable, payment is processed after travel
has concluded in the form of reimbursement check.
- Students traveling within the U.S. may receive funding for up to 50% of allowable
costs for 3 days/nights of travel. Students traveling outside of the U.S. may receive
funding for up to 50% of allowable costs for 5 days/nights of travel.
- Miscellaneous expenses are not approved unless supporting documentation is provided
showing the expense is necessary for travel. Any miscellaneous expenses without supporting
documentation will be removed from the request.
- Students may apply for the Graduate Research Dissemination Fund and Undergraduate
Research & Creative Activities Fund for up to one year after graduating.
Provisions of California Assembly Bill No. 1887
Effective September 27, 2016, California Assembly Bill No. 1887 prohibits OGSR from
approving a request for OGSR-funded travel to any state that, after June 26, 2015,
has enacted a law that:
- Voids of repeals or has the effect of voiding or repealing, existing state or local
protections again discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity,
or gender expressions; or
- Has enacted a law that authorizes or reflects discrimination against same-sex couples
or their families, or on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, gender
expression, as specified, subject to certain exceptions.
This prohibition currently extends to the following states: Alabama, Kansas, Kentucky,
Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, and
Texas. This list may be subject to change.
Other Campus Travel Resources
Associated Students Inc. (ASI)
ASI Leadership Funding Board provides funds for registration fees and travel to conferences.
Funding is not available at this time.