department menu


When you apply to take courses through the School of Education, you will complete the following two-part application process.*  Each program may also have additional requirements for admission.

Applying For Admission To The School of Education

Applicants must first submit a graduate application to the university (via CSU Apply).  Applicants must also submit a separate supplemental application to the School of Education based on the program for which they are applying.  This application process is the same for students seeking to take their prerequisite courses through the School of Education.

Note: You are welcome to submit the two applications concurrently, but we cannot admit you to the School of Education until you have been admitted to the university.  Current students interested in the Integrated Credential Program have already been admitted to the university and do not need to submit another university application. They will, however, still need to submit an application specific to the Integrated Credential Program.

Applicants for the Masters program will only submit the Cal State Apply application as it will include both the standard University requirements as well as the specific School of Education requisite materials that will determine your eligibility for the program. 

Pre-Admission Disclosure

Admission into programs leading to licensure and credentialing does not guarantee that students will obtain a license or credential. Licensure and credentialing requirements are set by agencies that are not controlled by or affiliated with the CSU and requirements can include evidence of the right to work in the United States (e.g., social security number or tax payer identification number) or successfully passing a criminal background check. Students are responsible for determining whether they can meet licensure or credentialing requirements. The CSU will not refund tuition, fees, or any associated costs, to students who determine subsequent to admission that they cannot meet licensure or credentialing requirements. Information concerning licensure and credentialing requirements are available from:

CEHHS, Student Services Office
333 South Twin Oaks Valley Road
University Hall 221
San Marcos, CA 92096
(760) 750-4277

For More Information...

For more information on specific programs, as well as the corresponding application process and admission requirements, please see the College of Education, Health, and Human Services Admissions page.  Make sure to check out the links on the right hand side of each web page for important information.

*Both the prerequisite courses and the courses for the Dual Language Certificate may be available through Extended Learning.  Extended Learning courses do not require admission to the university or the School of Education; those hoping to take courses via this route do not need to apply to the university or the School of Education.  The School of Education may also agree to waive a prerequisite course or accept an equivalent course offered through a local community college in place of the prerequisite courses offered at Cal State San Marcos.  Please see the Prerequisite Coursework section of this site for more details.