department menu


  • Is the catalog information current?

     You are encouraged to visit the Cal State San Marcos Veteran's Services website at the Extended Learning website, or call (760) 750-4004, for the most current information. 
  • Can I use my CalVet Tuition Waiver to pay for my Extended Learning classes?

    The CalVet College Tuition Fee Waiver can not be applied to Extended Learning degrees, certificates, or courses.
  • How do I register for professional development courses?

    There are five (5) easy ways to register for professional development courses:
    1. By phone: (760) 750-4020 or (800) 500-9377
    2. By Fax: (760) 750-3138
    3. Online Secure Registration: Visit the Extended Learning website, find a course and "Register Now".
    4. By Mail: Cal State San Marcos, Extended Learning, San Marcos, CA 92096
    5. In Person: 333 South Twin Oaks Valley Road, Viasat Engineering Pavillion (VEP) Room 5-107, San Marcos
  • Can I use my GI Bill or VA educational benefits for Professional Development Courses?

    Yes. Select professional development certificates are now approved for VA educational funding. Refer to current veterans approved programs for list of eligible programs.  
  • How do I register for Credit Courses?

    To register for CREDIT courses including open university, academic credit, special session classes, or degree programs, please follow the specific registration procedures outlined on your website.

    If you have a hold on your account, we will not be able to register you until the hold is resolved. To clear your hold, please contact the Cashier's Office at (760) 750-4491.

  • When and how can I pay for a class?

    If you are using federal VA educational benefits, then see MVSO Coordinator to utilize benefits for payment for classes. Only Ch.33 Post 9/11 GI Bill warrants a fee deferment for credit degree programs. 
  • Can I register if I have a hold on my account?

    If you have a hold on your account, we will not be able to register you until the hold is resolved. To clear your hold, please contact the Cashier's Office at (760) 750-4491.
  • What are my options for financial aid?

    Extended Learning does not sanction any one lender; however, there are a multitude of private lenders that will fund programs for Extended Learning (non-matriculated) students. If you are a student who is matriculated (formally accepted to the campus) in an Extended Learning degree program and need additional information about financial aid options, please contact the Credit Programs Coordinator at (760) 750-8717.
  • How do I request a transcript?

    Request an official transcript (no fee required) for credit programs. For professional development programs, you may request a professional development transcript through Extended Learning by calling (760) 750-4020. 
  • Where are classes held?

    Most classes are held on CSUSM Campus unless noted otherwise in the course description. Driving directions and maps are available online. If your class is being held at an off-campus location, please call Extended Learning at (760) 750-4020 for directions.
  • Where do I park?

    Parking permits are required to park on campus. There is no grace period. For credit courses and programs, new and continuing students must purchase semester parking permits online at, Parking and Commuter Services located at the Public Safety Building, located at the corner of La Moree and Campus View Drive, or at the University Cashier, located on the third floor of Craven Hall. To inquire about current parking information and policies, please visit the Parking and Commuter Services Website or call (760) 750-7500.

    For professional development classes, parking fees are included for most Extended Learning programs and more detailed information pertaining to your specific course will be e-mailed to you the week before the class start date. If your class does not include a parking permit it will be noted in the online course description or class schedule. If you do not see information regarding parking in the course description please contact our office at least 3 days prior to the course start date. If you are registering for a class within 24 hours of the class start date, we apologize that we are unable to guarantee paid parking. Please call the Extended Learning Office for confirmation Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm (760) 750-4020. 

  • Can I access the Career Center or Library?

    The Career Center on campus offers a number of career related services. To learn more about the services offered, view the Career Center web site or contact (760) 750-4900. You can also access the CSUSM Library by purchasing a Readers Circle Card. For more information on the Readers Circle Card contact the Library at (760) 750-4348.
  • How can I learn more about your support services for disabled students?

    Support services are available to assist students with special needs in the academic setting Students with mobility limitations psychological or learning disabilities, and/or hearing or visual impairments are encouraged to contact Disabled Student Services as soon as possible to arrange for these services. For additional information, view Disabled Student Services website or call (760) 750-4905 or (TDD) 750-4909).
  • What is your non-discrimination policy?

    The University subscribes to all Equal Opportunity, Title IX, Title VI, Title VII and Section 504 regulations and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, disability, sexual orientation, age, marital, or veteran status in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy. 
  • Who can I contact if I am interested in teaching for Extended Learning?

    Extended Learning is always looking for new courses and instructors to keep our programs fresh and competitive. If you are an expert in your area and would like to find out more information about teaching opportunities, please contact Extended Learning office at (760) 750-4020.
  • How do I find out about other official notices and policies?

    Please refer to the California State University San Marcos General Catalog for pertinent policies, regulations and other information. Although every effort has been made to assure the accuracy of the information in this catalog and in the CSUSM General Catalog, students and others who use this catalog should note that laws, rules, and policies change from time to time and that these changes may alter the information contained in this publication. Changes may come in the form of statutes enacted by the Legislature, rules and policies adopted by the Board of Trustees of the California State University, by the Chancellor or designee of the California State University, or by the president or designee of the campus. It is not possible in a publication of this size to include all of the rules, policies and other information that pertain to students, the institution, and the California State University.


Professional Development CAMPUS CLASSES

For all professional development classes, cancellation notification must be made in writing. Written notice may be made by email to, faxed to 760-750-3138, or mailed with postmark date three days before the first day of class to receive a full refund (less a $20 administrative fee). No refunds will be issued once a class has started. No refund will be issued for online classes, once online material has been accessed by the student. “NO SHOWS” ARE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR PAYMENT IN FULL. One non-refundable transfer or substitution is allowed instead of receiving a refund. This transfer/substitution must be used within the same fiscal year (July 1 – June 30), and all transfers must be requested and completed prior to the second session in a multi-session course. No credits will be issued; refund or transfer must be made at time of cancellation. Refunds may take four to six weeks to reach students who have withdrawn.


Participants in all professional development Classroom courses will receive a letter grade (unless a pass/fail is requested instead) for each of the courses they successfully complete. Grading scales will vary depending individual course requirements.


All prfessional development participants will receive a certificate of completion upon successful completion of each individual course and/or an entire program. Academic degrees rewarded upon completion.


Student attendance records will be reviewed to ensure student participation and progress. School officials will monitor students, grades and expectations to ensure timely completion of program requirements.


Each class is eligible for CEU’s dependent upon the number of hours for each course.


The Extended Learning refund policy does not necessarily coincide with the University add/drop period. You can drop your courses any time via the MyCSUSM student portal at You will need your student ID and password. If you do not know your student ID and/or password, you may contact the Student Help Desk at 760-750-6505. For more information on refunds for a specific course term, please go to the Credit Course section of our website. Refunds may take four to six weeks to reach students who have withdrawn. To check on the progress of your refund go to your MyCSUSM portal account. After the refund deadline has passed take a completed University Regulations Waiver form to Cashiers in Cougar Central.

Withdrawal after the cutoff date for refunds: Stopping attendance in classes and/or informing the instructor or a CSUSM staff member about plans to withdrawal does NOT constitute formal withdrawal from any CSUSM course. Students who do not formally withdraw remain liable for any outstanding payments and academic performance requirements until a formal withdrawal is made. It is important to formally withdraw from any course you are leaving to avoid academic penalty.

For information on Withdrawals, visit:

Effects of Withdrawal on Financial Aid: Students who withdraw after receiving Financial Aid payments may be required to repay/return the Financial Aid disbursed. Units from which a student withdraws are included in the count of “attempted units” when determining “max units attempted” for the purposes of measuring Satisfactory Academic Progress. Failure to achieve the appropriate level of Academic Progress can also result in a Financial Aid penalty. For information, visit Financial Aid OR contact the CSUSM Financial Aid Office at 760-750-4850.