department menu

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know that my application was properly received?
Once we have received your application, an email (listing any additional requirements) will be sent to your email address that was listed on the submitted application. 

Do all of the required documents have to be mailed to your office?
No, not all of the required documents have to be mailed to our office. Please see the Apply page for detailed instructions.

How do I confirm that my additional required documents were received besides the application?
You can contact Extended Learning at (760) 750-4020 and inquire.

Is the SLP Prep program considered a SLPA program?
The CSUSM SLP Prep program is not approved as a SLPA program. Our program is not designed to provide the clinical hours necessary to apply for SLPA licensure.

Will the courses in your SLP Prep Cohort program satisfy the 2014 ASHA Standards necessary to apply to a Masters Program in SLP?
Some of the courses within the prep program will satisfy BOTH the prerequisite course requirement and the ASHA standards requirement. Please refer to the MS SLP Program Admissions requirements for more details. Consult your advisor prior to applying to ensure you have met the requirements.

Do I earn a certificate for the SLP Prep program as either a cohort or a non-cohort student?
A certificate designation is one of the benefits of participating in the SLP Prep Cohort program. After completing all the courses in the cohort sequence within the 3 semesters, Extended Learning Student Services will work with the CSUSM Registrar to add the certificate to your CSUSM transcript. You can complete the SLP Prep courses as a non-cohort student, but a certificate designation is not provided with this option.

Who do I work with on my student status/admission at CSUSM if I'm an international student?
All students will work directly with Extended Learning Student Services for these matters. Please see our Advising contact information on our Department Contact Us  page

Can I use my Veterans Benefits to pay for the program?
Please visit the Extended Learning Military & Veterans Services website about the eligible funding options. You can also visit the campus Epstein Family Veterans Center or reach out directly by phone: (760)750-4827 or email: Unfortunately, these Extended Learning programs, certificates, or courses are not eligible for the Cal Vet Fee Waiver.

How do I request Financial Aid?
Please go to Financial Aid and Scholarships for more details. You can visit the Financial Aid and Scholarship office or call (760) 750-4850 with any questions. At the time of your application, we advise that you complete your FAFSA application as soon as possible. Financial Aid is another benefit available to SLP Prep Cohort students. Non-cohort students are not eligible for financial aid.

I am currently enrolled in the SLP Prep Cohort and I may need to withdraw due to special curcumstances that have arisen. What do I do next?
Please reach out to your advisor. They will assit you with the next steps to take.