An international transfer applicant is a student who wishes to study at our university on an F-1 (student) visa,
who has completed post-secondary coursework at a college or university located outside
the United States or a regionally accredited community college or university within
the United States and has not yet earned the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree.
CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS
SPRING 2018 August 1, 2017 - November 15, 2017
FALL 2018 October 1, 2017 - May 1, 2018
IMPORTANT APPLICATION DEADLINES
To apply, submit the following:
Apply online at: www.calstate.edu/apply OR Use the paper application
No application fee! (Email email@example.com for your waiver code)
All official post-secondary school records including certificates, examination grades,
degrees or diplomas in the original language of issue through the postal mail in a school-sealed envelope
- Lower-division transfers must also send secondary school records
- Applicants who have studied in the U.S. are required to have the U.S. institution(s)
send official transcript(s) directly to CSUSM. If you are attending a California community
college, you may be able to send your transcripts electronically. Confirm with your
school to check if this option is available.
Official English translations of all academic records including certificates, degrees or diplomas
Affidavit of Financial Support including bank statements or scholarship letter
Official TOEFL or IELTS score report - once you apply, you will be given online access to a student portal
where you can check if you are required to submit a test score. If you do not have
a passing test score, conditional admission is available.
- Copy of your Passport
Send your unofficial transcripts and copies of documents now for an early admission
IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT I-20: Please be advised that you must send your official transcripts through postal mail and have your test scores sent directly to CSUSM from testing agencies before we can issue the I-20 for the student visa.
CSUSM accepts both lower and upper division transfer students.
All transfer student must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher in all postsecondary coursework completed.
Transfer student requirements:
- Lower division transfer students - who have completed less than 60 units (90 quarter) units must also meet first-time freshman criteria
- Upper division transfer students who have completed 60 units (90 quarter) units or more admission criteria:
- Applicants applying from:
- A college or university in the US should have completed the following courses with a letter grade of "C" or better:
◦A2 Written Communication
◦B4 Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning college level course (above Intermediate Algebra)
- A college or university located outside the US should have completed a B4 Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning college level course
(above Intermediate Algebra)
- Good standing at last institution attended
- Satisfy English Language Proficiency Requirement for admission purposes with ONE of the following:
- TOEFL score of 61 iBT with writing score no lower than 19 and no section score below
- IELTS overall band score of 5.5, writing score no lower than 5.5 and no section score
- Completion of the equivalent of CSUSM's A2 Written Communication as noted in our catalog
with a grade of C or better
- Attended an approved institution where English was the principal language of instruction
for 3 years (confirm with International Admission Office to see if your school is
- Conditional admission is available through our language program if you do not have a passing IELTS or TOEFL score.
*Appeal process for special consideration due to extenuating circumstances/demonstrable
hardship may be considered, submit appeal to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
California State University San Marcos - Office of International Admissions
Global Programs & Services
333 S. Twin Oaks Valley Road, San Marcos, CA 92096-0001 USA
P: (760) 750-4844 F: (760) 750-3138