An international transfer applicant is a student who wishes to study at our university on an F-1 (student) visa,
who has completed post-secondary course work at a college or university located outside
the United States or a regionally accredited community college or university within
the United States and has not yet earned the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree.
CSUSM accepts both lower and upper division transfer students.
- Cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher
- Completion of the following courses with a grade of C (2.0) or better:
- A1 Oral Communication (Speech)
- A2 Written Communication
- A3 Critical Thinking (Logic)
- B4 Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning college level course (above Intermediate Algebra)
- Previous institution(s) must meet our accreditation standards
- Good standing at last institution attended
- Students with less than 60 units must also meet first-time freshman criteria
- Satisfy English Language Proficiency Requirement for admission purposes with one of the following:
- TOEFL score of 61 iBT with writing score no lower than 19 and no section score below
- IELTS overall band score of 5.5, writing score no lower than 5.5 and no section score
below 5.0 (beginning fall 2017 admission term)
- Completion of the equivalent of CSUSM's A2 Written Communication as noted in our catalog
with a grade of C or better
- Attended an approved institution where English was the principal language of instruction
for 3 years (confirm with International Admission Office to see if your school is
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you cannot satisfy the language proficiency requirement listed above, CONDITIONAL ADMISSION is available through our English language program offered by the American Language
and Culture Institute (ALCI). To apply for conditional admission, follow the instructions
listed below and contact us.
*Appeal process for special consideration due to extenuating circumstances/demonstrable
hardship may be considered, submit appeal to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, submit the following:
University paper application
Submit all official post-secondary school records including certificates, examination
grades, degrees or diplomas in the original language of issue through the postal mail in a school-sealed envelope
- Lower-division transfers must also send secondary school records
- Applicants who have studied in the U.S. are required to have the U.S. institution(s)
send official transcript(s) directly to CSUSM. If you are attending a California community
college, you may be able to send your transcripts electronically. Confirm with your
school to check if this option is available.
Submit official English translations of all academic records including certificates, degrees or diplomas
Submit the Affidavit of Financial Support or scholarship letter
Submit official TOEFL or IELTS score report, if needed (must be sent directly from testing agency) The TOEFL or
IELTS is NOT required for conditional admission.
- Submit a copy of your Passport
Send all OFFICIAL transcripts and translations directly to the address below.
Copies of all the documents needed above can be submitted online! By submitting these
documents online, this allows us to give you an early admission decision. Official
transcripts and test scores must be received before issuance of I-20 for student visa.
California State University San Marcos - International Admissions
333 S. Twin Oaks Valley Road, San Marcos, CA 92096-0001 USA
P: (760) 750-4844 F: (760) 750-3138