The University English Pathway program prepares students for study at a university
or college in the United States and offers qualified students a pathway option to
take English language courses along with university courses. This program is also
useful for professionals or travelers who need to improve their English language skills
for communication purposes.
This program acts as a pathway to Undergraduate Conditional Admission
for students wanting to study for a bachelor's degree and Graduate Conditional Admission
for students wanting to study for a master's degree. Students have the opportunity
to be recommended for university admission without a TOEFL or IELTS score if they
successfully complete this program.
- Opportunity to take university courses for credit toward a degree for qualified, advanced-level
- Six proficiency levels
- 24 class hours per week
- Small classes
- Leadership and service learning
- Mentorship program
- More than 100 recognized student organizations students can join
- Group activities such as beach picnics, cultural celebrations and other trips
- Academic courses in reading, vocabulary, academic writing, grammar, public speaking,
study skills, test preparation and enrichment classes
- CSUSM credit classes for qualified, advanced-level students
- Chances to make international friends
- Certificates of completion and certificate ceremony
How to apply for the University English Pathway program
To apply to the ALCI from outside of the United States:
If you are outside of the United States and need an I-20 to apply for a VISA, please
send the following:
Use the Application Checklist to make sure everything is complete.
- An ALCI Application Form (download the application to your computer before filling it out) or Online Application
- An original bank statement dated within the last six months. (check here for minimum balance requirements)
- A $150 application fee(non-refundable) payable by credit card or check to "CSUSM."
This includes the express mail fee.
- A photocopy of your passport.
- ALCI Tuition Fee made payable to “CSUSM” (refundable if you cannot receive a Visa)
or a Financial Guarantee must be submitted (Sponsored or scholarship students, e.g.
SACM, BAfoeG, CAPES/IIE, etc.).
F-1 students transferring to the ALCI from a school within the United States:
If you have a valid I-20 and are transferring from a school in the United States,
you must send items above AND:
Send your application to:
Fax: 760-750-3779 OR
American Language and Culture Institute
California State University San Marcos
333 South Twin Oaks Valley Road
San Marcos, CA 92096-0001
Incomplete applications will not be processed. Check your application carefully.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old or a high school graduate, and have basic