department menu

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Where is San Marcos?

     San Marcos is a safe, suburban city located in North San Diego County, about 37 miles (60 km) north of downtown San Diego and 100 miles (160 km) south of downtown Los Angeles. For more information, visit the LOCATION page.
  • When is the application deadline?

    We recommend that you apply at least two months before the semester begins. You should allow enough time for your application to be processed and for you to schedule your F-1 visa interview.  The deadline to apply for conditional admission is usually about 2-3 months before the program start date. While our programs have priorty deadlines for visa and academic purposes, please contact the ALCI directly to submit an application after the priorty deadline on a case by case basis. 
  • Can I apply for conditional admission?

    Yes.  Students may apply to the ALCI and for conditional admission to California State University San Marcos.  For more information, visit the Conditional Admission page.
  • How much money will I need for the UEP program or Study@CSU San Marcos program?

    The total amount of tuition, fees and other costs depends on the amount of time you will spend at the ALCI.  Visit our Program Dates and Costs page for the cost table by program for more information.
  • What is TOEFL equivalency?

    TOEFL Equivalency means that for graduate or undergraduate admission to California State University San Marcos, you need not take the TOEFL if you meet certain requirements. Students completing the University English Pathway advanced classes may be recommended to CSU San Marcos.
  • Do I need to take the TOEFL before I apply to ALCI?

    The TOEFL test is not required for enrollment in the University English Pathway program, but you must have basic English skills.  For Study@CSU San Marcos requirements please visit Study@CSU San Marcos.
  • Can I take a university course while enrolled in the ALCI?

    Yes. If you are in the advanced levels of the UEP program or Study@CSU San Marcos program, you may take a university class or classes with American students for transferable credit. 
  • What class level will I be in at the ALCI?

    Students enrolled in the UEP program will take a placement test on the first day of the semester to determine the class level. You will also take a post-test at the end of each semester.  Post-test results determine class levels for continuing students.
  • Can I live in campus housing (University Village Apartments/QUAD)?

    Yes. ALCI students may apply to live in University Village Apartments (UVA) or The QUAD. To live in on campus, you must plan to attend at least one full semester at the ALCI.  Apply very early.  University housing fills up quickly. Please visit the ALCI Housing webpage for more information and options.