department menu


F-1 international students are only eligible to seek employment with authorization from an International Advisor.  Students may not begin any type of employment without prior work authorization.  This page covers the various types of employment eligibilities students may seek while in F-1 international student status.  Please make an appointment with an advisor to discuss these options in detail.

The United States has very strict rules regarding the ability of foreign nationals to work in the U.S. International students in valid F-1 status may work on-campus for up to 20 hours per week during the academic year, and full-time during vacation and holiday breaks. Students in valid F-1 status cannot be employed off-campus without obtaining prior written authorization.  Working off-campus without the appropriate authorization is considered illegal employment according to federal immigration law and is a potentially deportable offense. USCIS regulations require that all unauthorized employment be reported. It is essential for international students to understand the off-campus employment rules that pertain to them.

On Campus Employment  Curricular Practical Training (CPT) 

Optional Practical Training (OPT)  OPT STEM Extension  Economic Hardship