The premier Intensive English Pathway (IEP) program prepares students of all levels
of English ability and other qualified students a pathway option to take English language
course along with university courses.
This program acts as a pathway to Undergraduate Conditional Admission
for students wanting to study for a bachelor's degree and Graduate Conditional Admission
for students wanting to study for a master's degree. Students have the opportunity
to be recommended for university admission without a TOEFL or IELTS score if they
successfully complete this program.
- Opportunity to take university courses for credit toward a degree for qualified, advanced-level
- Six proficiency levels
- 24 class hours per week
- Small class sizes
- Leadership and service learning
- Mentorship and partnership programs
- More than 100 recognized student organizations students can join
- Group activities such as beach picnics, cultural celebrations and other trips
- Academic courses in reading, vocabulary, academic writing, grammar, public speaking,
study skills, test preparation and enrichment classes
- CSUSM credit classes for qualified, advanced-level students
- Chances to make international and American friends
- Certificates of completion and certificate ceremony
How to apply for the Intensive English Pathway program
To apply to the ALCI from outside of the United States:
If you are outside of the United States and need an I-20 to apply for a VISA, please
send the following:
- A scanned photocopy of the fillable ALCI Application Form.
- A scanned photocopy of an original bank statement dated within the last six months. (check here for minimum balance requirements).
- A $150 application fee (non-refundable) payable by credit card or check to "CSUSM."
This includes the express mail fee.
- A scanned photocopy of your passport.
F-1 students transferring to the ALCI from a school within the United States:
If you have a valid I-20 and are transferring from a school in the United States,
you must send the items above AND:
- An Eligibility to Transfer Form.
- Scanned photocopies of your transcripts from current ESL program.
- Scanned photocopies of your current I-20, visa, and I-94.
Send your application package to:
Please scan all documents and send as attachments (photos cannot be accepted) via
e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, OR
The American Language and Culture Institute
California State University San Marcos
333 South Twin Oaks Valley Road
San Marcos, CA 92096-0001 USA
Incomplete applications will not be processed. Check your application carefully.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old or a high school graduate, and have basic